Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's hot as a stiff cock!

AMAZING Potato Salad!

So today, several VISTAs gathered for a (free) bbq hosted by Young Organics, a program run by Grand Street Community Arts, which is James' site. ALL of the food was beyond delicious, especially when nothing but pasta and salad has been eaten over the past 2 weeks at Siena (not that I'm not thankful for that food). The Stewart's Ice Cream served for dessert was especially good, but this time around nothing beat the potato salad.

Now, I'm not usually a fan of potato salad (or macaroni salad or egg salad or tuna salad or any of those salads drenched in mayo). But this potato salad was blue. It was made with BLUE POTATOES! So I HAD to try it! Not to mention that it looked like it was just overflowing with good stuff and was begging to be eaten. In fact, the moment I saw the pot it was in, I could hear the potato salad calling out my name. It was saying "Eaten me Ariel. EAT ME! For I am tasty and blue and full of good stuff for you." So, of course, I obeyed. Again. And Again. And Again. And then I packed some in a cup to take home for lunch tomorrow (to be eaten with avocado, carrots, and pumpkin cheddar crackers... yum!). And the best part about this salad???? It's sooooo simple!

Here is the recipe that was given to me by the free spirited awesome hippie lady who seemed to be a member in charge:

Blue Potato Salad (That Calls Out Names)

Blue Potatoes - Boiled
Mayonnaise
Yellow Mustard
Red Peppers
Oregano
Salt/Pepper

The awesome free spirited tree hugging (I mean that as an endearing term, for I also see myself as a tree huger. It's ok for tree hugers to call other people tree hugers) hippie lady told me she didn't know the amounts for all the ingredients, which is 100% ok with me. This means I get to experiment!!

Oh, and the other best part of this blue potato salad? The blue potatoes had been picked that day!! How much more fresh can you get?????

So, because I like to research food and food combination's and experiment and add ingredients to makes them unique, I looked up recipes for rustic potato salads and here are some other things I may add:

Red Onion
Olive Oil
Vinegar
Dijon Mustard
Sour Cream
Eggs
Garlic
Hot sauce
Paprika
Basil
Rosemary
Green Beans
Pine Nuts
Chives
Dill
Lemon

and anything else that may float your boat (or potato bed...in this case). I think I might try mine with some fresh spinach!

While on the search for other things to add to a potato salad I discovered this very yummy looking pesto potato salad recipe which works well for people like my housemate Michael who hate mayo.

Rustic Pesto Potato Salad:

Ingredients:

1 lb. small, thin skinned potatoes (I used red, white & purple, but any one of these would be just fine), rinsed and quartered
1 lb. green beans, trimmed
8-10 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup basil, sliced
1/3 cup of toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
As many eggs as you're in the mood for
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Bring the potatoes up to a boil in a large pot of salted water. Once the water is boiling allow the potatoes to cook for another five minutes or so or until tender.

Two minutes before the potatoes are done, toss your green beans into the pot with the potatoes. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, then drain potatoes and beans and place back into your pot or into a large bowl.

Stir in the garlic, basil, pine nuts, olive oil, salt, pepper and mix together thoroughly. Taste for seasonings (this salad tends to beg for a couple extra pinches of salt).

Serve yourself a plate of potato salad and top with an over easy egg(or not)...Enjoy!

Serves 6.

Yum! Does That Not Look Good???????? Well, this blue potato salad is on my list of things to make...thats if I can get my hands on blue potatoes at the Troy Farmers Market this weekend...or perhaps at the Menands/Albany regional market. I'll give it a try. Two other things I would like to try include homemade mayo (Julie Child, thank you) and Banana Bread. Though we don't have a bread pan so it may have to be banana muffins. We have multiple overripe bananas that are just begging to be consumed and what better way then banana bread? I'm happy, the bananas are happy, the people eating banana bread are happy...nothing wrong with that! I was gunna post Julia Child's mayo recipe, but alas, all the ones I find are too long and not worth sorting through at the moment. But never fear! I will try the mayo recipe and get back to you about how many times I failed :-)

Now before I bid you adieu, I leave you with this:

"I hear it's bad form to say Yum when you're eating. But, yum!"

Yum is an integral part of my vocabulary. I may even replace most common nouns with it. I'll yum ya later, yums!

No comments:

Post a Comment